To establish your Los Angeles Federal Credit Union (LAFCU) membership you need to open a regular share savings account with a minimum of $10, which includes $5 initial deposit, and a one-time $5 LAFCU membership fee. If you are eligible to join through the Los Angeles Charitable Association (LACA) , you also need to provide a $5 LACA membership fee. A $50 balance must be maintained in your regular share savings account after six months from the date you joined LAFCU or a monthly fee applies.
- Funds easily transferrable to other accounts
- Earns competitive dividends
- Deposits insured up to at least $250,000 per individual depositor by the National Credit Union Administration.
- Other savings account options available
Money Market Accounts
We offer two money market options including a “Regular” account and an “e-Money Market” higher-rate account. Both require a $2,500 minimum opening deposit with no term requirement, and retain the flexibility of a liquid savings account.
- Pays higher than regular shares
- Up to 6 pre-authorized withdrawals/month
e-Money Market High-Rate
- Pays highest money market rates1
- Up to 6 pre-authorized withdrawals/month
Emergency Savings Account
If you need help saving money for an emergency, this account helps you save while earning an Annual Percentage Yield 50 TIMES higher than the average 0.06% at other financial institutions.3 You must have a Share Savings account at LAFCU before opening this account.
- $25 to $100 minimum opening deposit.
- $25 minimum monthly deposit into the account by automatic transfer, direct deposit or payroll deduction (after one year of depositing $25 monthly you’ll save $300, or $600 if $50 monthly).
- Annual Percentage Rates:
3% APR* on balances $25 to $500
1% APR on balances $500.01 to $1,000
Regular Savings account APR on balances $1,000.01+
- To earn 3% APR, you must be signed up for online statements and maintain a $25 monthly minimum deposit.
- One free account withdrawal allowed per month & other withdrawals are $2 each.
- $50 minimum balance required
- Funds available in November for end-of-year expenses
- Earns higher dividends
- No monthly service charges
- Penalty fee applies if funds withdrawn early
Health Saving Accounts
Our Health Savings Accounts are designed to provide an additional source of funding for any future medical expenses not covered by your regular medical insurance. To be eligible, you must be under age of 65 ; covered by a high deductible health plan; not covered by another health insurance carrier or Medicare; and not claimed as a dependent by another individual. To open an HSA2 today, call us at (877) 695-2328, or visit a LAFCU Branch.
- Contributions made with pre-tax monies are 100% tax deductible
- Withdrawals for qualified medical expenses are tax-free
- Option to pay higher deductible with own insurance resulting in lower premiums
- Account stays with you even if your job changes
- Spouses can inherit the account with no tax consequences
- Can be used for withdrawals in person at a LAFCU branch, by mail or with an HSA Check (debit) Card.
1To receive the e-Money Market account rate: (a) You must open and maintain a LAFCU Checking account and during each calendar month, the account must have a combination of any five (5) of the following debit (withdrawal) transactions: ATM, Automated Clearing House (ACH), Check Card debit or POS, Bill Pay, or Share Draft Checks; (b) You must sign up and receive online monthly LAFCU e-Statements; (c) You can access this account at no charge online via online banking, TouchTel-24, and with personalized Money Market Checks, and if you need to visit a branch or call our staff for a transaction, you can do that too, for a minimal fee. If you do not maintain the requirements, your e-Money Market account will be changed back to our Regular Money Market Account for the entire quarterly dividend period, unless you re-apply and qualify for the e-Money Market.
2One HSA per member. No minimum balance. Inherited accounts are still considered HSAs and are subject to no tax consequences unless unqualified withdrawals are made. Not intended as tax advice, please consult your tax advisor for details.
3APR =Annual Percentage Rate. Average savings account in the USA earns 0.06% Annual Percentage Yield, according to GoBankingRates on 9-12-17, and this information is subject to change without notice.