Looking for flexible gifts or a safe way to make purchases while on vacation? Then visit a LAFCU branch and buy a Visa Gift Card. This prepaid, non-reloadable card can be loaded with values from $20 to $500 and has several card images to choose from.
• Redeemable at retail merchants that accept Visa debit cards (both online and retail stores), except airlines, car rental agencies, gasoline merchants, hotels, telecom providers (cell phone and home phone services), and at ATMs.
• Each card expires after seven years, there is a nominal fee per card, and the card will be replaced if lost or stolen.
• 24/7 customer service assistance or card balance inquiries online from the "My Gift Card Account" link or by calling (866) 902-6082.
• If you give the card to someone as a gift, please remind them to register the card immediately online. Registration is important because it allows the cardholder to 1) get a replacement card if the card is lost or stolen (by calling 866/902-6082), and 2) contact online purchases with the card.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is this Card? Your Los Angeles Federal Credit Union (LAFCU) Visa Gift Card is a prepaid Debit Card with a specific dollar value. This Card and its value are accepted at most places Visa® Debit is accepted.
How can I check the balance and transaction history on my Card? Call the phone number on the back of your card for balances and transaction history, or click the "My Gift Card Account" link.
How can I use my Card? You can use your Card at most places Visa Debit is accepted. See the below Terms and Conditions for further information.
What should I do when the merchant´s sales terminal asks me to press "Debit" or "Credit"? You should always press the "Credit" button. Although this Card is not a credit card, the transaction is processed like one through the Visa network. You should always sign a sales receipt.
When I swipe my card, the terminal asks me input my PIN. What is my PIN? A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is not issued with this Card. If a PIN is requested, simply press "Cancel" on the terminal, then select "Credit" to complete your transaction.
What if the item I want to purchase exceeds the value of my Card? If the purchase amount exceeds the available card balance, then you must inform the merchant of the amount you want to pay with the Card and that you will pay the difference in cash, check, credit or debit card. If the purchase amount exceeds the available balance of the Card, the transaction will not be approved.
What do I do if I need to return an item? In the event you need to return an item you purchased with your Card, the merchant will handle the item in accordance with Visa guidelines. The merchant may credit your card (put the funds back on the card) thereby increasing your available funds.
What happens when the funds are spent? When you have depleted all the funds on the card and no returns are necessary, simply destroy and discard the card.
What should I do if my Card is lost or stolen? Contact the Card Center immediately at (866) 902-6082. Additionally, read the Card´s "Terms and Conditions" contained in this cardholder for important information.
Terms & Conditions
The following are the Terms and Conditions for your Los Angeles Federal Credit Union (LAFCU) Visa Gift Card. " You" or " your" means the person who has received the Card; "we", "us" or "our" means LAFCU; "Card" means the LAFCU Visa Gift Card. Please read the following carefully and keep them for your records. By accepting and using your Card, you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions.
Using Your Card
To use your Card, a LAFCU employee must activate it when you buy it from them at a LAFCU branch. Sign the back before using the Card. Your Card is issued by LAFCU and may be used for purchases at most merchants where Visa® Debit is accepted. The Card may not be used for recurring payments, non-financial money exchange establishments and gambling establishments. Some merchants, like restaurants, may attempt to submit authorizations against the Card for an amount greater than the actual purchase amount. If a merchant attempts an authorization greater than the balance remaining on your gift Card, it may be declined. This Card is not a credit Card and may not be reloaded. You may only use it when there is a balance remaining on the Card and only up to the amount left on the Card. Purchases will be deducted from your Card until the value reaches zero. If a transaction initiated by you exceeds the remaining balance on the Card, you must tell the merchant before completing the transaction. Any transaction attempted for more than the amount available on the Card will be declined. Therefore, you must know the amount available on your Card and inform the merchant to process the transaction in that amount. You must pay the difference with another form of payment. If you are given value through the use of the Card greater than the balance remaining, you will pay us on demand the amount by which your transactions exceeded the balance remaining on the Card.
Fees and Charges
There are no fees associated with the use of the Card when purchasing goods and services.
Initial Purchase Fee (Value Load Fee): $3.50 for each new card.
Inactivity Fee: A Monthly Inactivity Fee of $3.50 will be charged after twelve (12) consecutive months of inactivity. The fee will not be charged once the balance of the Card reaches $0.
Card Replacement Fee: A lost, stolen, or damaged Card replacement fee of $15.00 will be imposed for the replacement of the Card and will be deducted from the remaining balance.
Non U.S. Transactions
If a Card transaction is made in a currency other than that loaded on the Card, the amount will be converted into the appropriate currency at an exchange rate on the day the transaction is processed. The exchange rate used to determine the transaction amount in US dollars is either a rate selected from Visa from the range of rates available in wholesale currency markets for the applicable central processing date, which rate may vary from the rate Visa itself receives, or the government mandated rate in effect for the applicable central processing date.
Your Liability For A Lost or Stolen Card or Unauthorized Transactions
Contact us immediately at (866) 902-6082 if you believe the Card has been lost or stolen, or that someone has accessed or may access money from the Card without your permission. You will not be liable for lost value on the Card if you satisfy the following conditions:
• You have immediately called us & reported the Card lost or stolen, which allows us to “status” the Card.
• You have signed the Card on its reverse side in permanent ink.
• You inform us of the Card number and the approximate date of your last authorized use.
• You have not reported two or more incidents of unauthorized use to us in the preceding 12-month period.
• You report all facts of the loss or theft to us and you cooperate in our investigation.
Our Liability for Failure to Make Transactions
We may restrict access to the Card, temporarily or permanently, if we notice suspicious activity in connection with the Card, and we will notify you if we do so. We have no liability for restricting access to the Card because of suspected suspicious activity. Access will be reinstated if we determine that there has been no unauthorized use of the Card.
If we do not complete a transfer from the Card on time or in the correct amount according to our Agreement with you (other than for restrictions because of suspicious activity), we will be liable for the correct amount of the transfer. However, there are some exceptions. We will not be liable, for instance:
• If through no fault of ours, a merchant refuses to honor the Card;
• If through no fault of ours, you do not have enough money available on the Card to make a purchase;
• If the terminal or system was not working properly;
• If the Card is expired, damaged, or revoked;
• If the Card has been reported lost or stolen;
• If the Credit Union has reason to believe there is something wrong, for example, that the Card has been stolen;
• If the transaction information supplied to the Credit Union by you or a third party is incorrect or untimely;
• If circumstances beyond our control (such as flood or fire) prevent a transaction, despite reasonable precautions that we have taken;
• The merchant authorizes an amount greater than the purchase amount.
There may be other applicable exceptions as otherwise provided by state or federal laws.
Error Resolution Procedures
Records detailing the use of your Card are available by calling (866) 902-6082. In case of errors or questions about transactions arising from the use of your Card, of if any records you see show transactions that you did not make, call (866) 902-6082 immediately. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after the transaction appeared on the transaction activity report. If a good reason such as a hospital stay or long trip prevented you from telling us, we may, at our discretion, extend the period for a reasonable time. In order to help you with your questions, we will need the following information:
• Your name, address, phone number, and Card number.
• A description of the error or transaction you are unsure about and why you believe there is an error or why you need more information.
• The dollar amount of the suspected error.
Once the type of dispute is identified, we will mail you the appropriate paperwork to complete. No other action will be taken until the completed paperwork is received at the address specified in the documentation. Upon receipt of the completed paperwork, we will send you a confirmation letter and begin the investigation. We will determine whether an error occurred within 60 days. If we need more time, however, we may take up to 30 additional days to investigate your complaint or question. If we decide to do this, we will send you a letter. Credit will be given only after it has been determined that it is warranted. We will tell you the results after completing our investigation. If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation. You may ask for copies of the documents we used in our investigation.
Your Card expires on the last day of the month displayed on the Card. At expiration, the Card will be closed and any unused balance will be returned to the appropriate governing body under applicable escheatment laws. Contact LAFCU at (877) MY LAFCU (695-2328) or by visit a LAFCU branch.
The Card is the property of LAFCU and we may revoke the Card at any time without cause or notice. You agree to surrender a revoked Card promptly upon demand. Upon revocation, any stored value remaining on the Card will be refunded to you less any applicable fees.