LAFCU membership is available to:
- Anyone living in Southern California by donating $1 or more to the Los Angeles Charitable Association (LACA).
- Los Angeles City Active and Retired Employees and Active Volunteers
Active and Retired Employees of:
- All City Employees Benefits Service Association (ACEBSA)
- City Employees Club of Los Angeles (formerly known as "Los Angeles City Employees Association")
- Engineers and Architects Association
- Facilities Operations Plus (Select Employee Group)
- Harley Davidson of Glendale (Select Employee Group)
- The Mary Lind Foundation (Select Employee Group)
- Los Angeles Federal Credit Union
- Immediate family members of the above, related by blood or marriage, or other recognized family memberships in the same household (under the same roof). If not in the same household, immediate family members are defined as grandparent, parent, spouse, sibling, child, foster child, adopted child, grandchild, stepparent, stepchild, or stepsibling. The employee is not required to belong to LAFCU in order for his or her immediate family member to be eligible for LAFCU membership. An immediate family member of a primary member is eligible to join LAFCU even if Los Angeles City or another eligible employer no longer employs the primary member.
A LAFCU member is a member for life as long as their account is in "good standing." A member who has an outstanding loan with LAFCU cannot close their Share Savings Account and withdraw membership until the loan is paid off.
How to Join LAFCU
Joining LAFCU is easy. Potential members can fill out our online application. Members are required to open
and maintain a Share-Savings account with a balance of at least $5. Accounts open
for over 6 months will be charged a monthly fee if a balance of $50 (combined of all your LAFCU savings and checking accounts) is not maintained.
This amount must remain on deposit at all times to use credit union services. The
potential member must also pay a one-time membership fee of $5. The initial savings deposit
for minors (17 and under) is $5.00, and there is no minimum balance required and
no monthly fees are ever charged for minor accounts. Members joining through LACA
must indicate so on the membership application.
Online Application: To apply for membership 24/7, click to fill out our online application.
Apply by Mail or at a Branch: Click for our paper membership application.TWO forms of valid identification must be provided:
- Primary Identification: Front and back of your Driver’s License (address must be the same physical residence shown on your membership application, no PO Boxes accepted); or State ID card (if joining through LACA, ID must be CA license & you must live in a Southern CA county); U.S. Passport; Military Book or Card ID Card (Active is a Green card, Reserve is a Pink card); Alien Registration Card (“Green Card”); Student I.D. Card (up to age 17); Social Security card (up to age 17 (and/or when student ID is not available)…Social Security number is only required when account is opened with an Adult (i.e., parent, guardian, etc.).
- Secondary Identification (original items must be provided and the address must be the same shown on your membership application): current utility bill (must be Electric, Gas, Water, or Cable TV); current bank or credit card statement; or current paystub
NOTE: All forms of identification must be valid and not be expired. A secondary identification is required when the address on the primary ID is not listed or does not match the residence.
If joining by mail, provide: copies of the front and back of both IDs (with at least one showing your current, physical address), a filled out and signed member application, and a check (personal, Cashier´s, or Money Order) for the membership fee and opening deposit(s) for the account(s) you wish to open.
Membership Kit elements
- Membership Application: The membership application can be used to open any type of savings or checking account. Check Card/ATM card eligibility is determined through ChexSystems. On the membership application will be authorization to provide TouchTel-24 telephone account access and information about issuing a Check Card or ATM card.
- Direct Deposit Card: This card has instructions on how to sign up to have any recurring paycheck automatically deposited into your LAFCU account. VIP benefits are still available if a non-Los Angeles City employee is ineligible for direct deposit through the employer, or if they are not employed.
- Other elements in the kit include: Master Agreements & Disclosures booklet, Products & Services Brochure, and a Business Reply Envelope.
Important Information for Opening a New LAFCU Account
To help the U.S. government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means: When you open a LAFCU account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.
New Member Coupons: Your 1st 90 Days!
During the first 90 days after joining Los Angeles Federal Credit Union (LAFCU), qualifying members are eligible to redeem our "New Member Appreciation Coupons." The maximum discounts are:
- $100 for each vehicle balance transferred (minimum $5,000) to LAFCU
- $100 for each Visa® card balance transferred (minimum $5,000) to LAFCU
- $50 for each new or used vehicle financed (minimum $5,000) at LAFCU
- $5 off the first order of any LAFCU "Designer" checks
- $5 membership fee (for one new LAFCU member) waived when a LAFCU Visa card application is completed and given to us.